Pages

About Me

Welcome and thank you for joining me on my trip along the road to LVRS (Lung Volume Reduction Surgery). My name is Penny; I am from the beautiful Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania ... and I have emphysema. Walk along with me from first diagnosis to Lung Volume Reduction Surgery.

Tony - 2007

January 21, 2007

My doc had to reschedule the PFT so I can’t tell you if there has been an improvement. In my case, anything more than the 23% FEV1 would be welcome. I’ll know in two weeks. I can tell you that there has been a noticeable improvement in my breathing. As you know, I’ve been in pulmo rehab at Temple for the past six weeks. This coming Tuesday will be my last session and I hope to get a good report card for my pulmo doc.

I can do 40 minutes on the TM at 1.8 MPH with a 1.0 grade without O2 and I could go longer but I stop only because others need to use the TM. I’m trying to increase the speed by at least 0.1 MPH with each session. I’ll continue using the TM at home and hope to get to 2.5 MPH for at least 40 minutes within the next two months. I’ll also continue on the stationary bike and light weight exercises. I plan to add stretching exercises to the routine. The doc told me that it takes most LVRS patients who’ve had successful surgery at least six months before they see the full benefits of the surgery.

As you might guess, I’ve been elected “cheerleader” by the techs for others in the pulmo rehab group who are testing for LVRS. The techs use me as an example to encourage others. Most come in using O2 and can barely do a few minutes on the TM. I tell them that I was in the same boat eight months ago and, if all goes well and with no guarantees, they can expect to see an improvement in their condition. I went into the LVRS program almost totally ignorant about everything involved and I’m happy to pass on my experience to others who know as little as I did in the beginning.

The odd sensations in my chest and the mild rib soreness have just about disappeared. The incision is still somewhat sensitive to the touch, sort of tickles, but not a problem. I’m now sleeping through the night most of the time. Before the surgery, I slept through the night but was tired by mid-day because of the effort it took to do simple things. That has past. I can now do a lot more without becoming exhausted. My stamina improves by the day.

My wife and I have decided to sell the house and move into a condo. No steps to climb or lawn and snow to worry about. As a result we’ve been getting rid of 35 years of accumulated stuff and junk plus doing all the sprucing up needed to sell the house. I’m mentioning this because six months ago, I wouldn’t have been physically able to do the necessary lifting, carrying and general cleanup it takes to get the house in selling condition. I do get slightly “winded” but nothing like the gasping SOB of the past I had with physical exertion. Thanks to LVRS and pulmo rehab, I can now do some of the chores I did in the past. Never thought I’d be happy to be able to put out the trash. It wasn’t a pleasant experience to see my wife do this instead of me.

Hope to have another update after I see the doc and have the PFT.

January 24, 2007
Sorry for not sending the update sooner. My computer died on me last week and I’m finally back on line.

It’s been three and a half months since the LVRS, and my breathing continues to improve. Of course it will never be like the pre-emphysema days but I can live with that. As you may recall, I’m selling the house to move to a condo. For the past few months, I’ve been sorting out 35 years worth of collected junk and doing many of the chores I wasn’t able to do before LVRS. I was never able to do 5 to 6 continuous hours of even light physical work. Now I can go almost as long as I want.

Finished rehab at Temple . At home, I do stretching exercises, TM, recumbent bike and weight exercises every other day. I hope I have the discipline to keep up the workouts. There are days when I’m really not in the mood but knowing that I can revert back to my pre-LVRS condition, scares the hell out of me.

The treadmill for me is unpredictable. I usually do 40 minutes but there are many days, during the first 10 minutes, when I doubt if I can get to 40 minutes. Then my “second wind” seems to kick in and I do the 40 minutes. It may have something to do with the way my redesigned lungs now work. I’ve learned that varying speeds and elevation during the exercise helps to get me through. If I feel I’m having a problem at the start speed, I can reduce the speed to something more tolerable. Same with the elevation. I then increase when I feel I’ve caught up.

I was wondering about the accuracy of treadmill speeds. The 2.0 MPH I was doing at Temple felt slower than the 2.0 MPH on my TM. It’s probably all in my head.

During the rehab at Temple , I met a fellow who was on O2 24/7 and was just beginning his LVRS candidate testing. He could barely do more than a few minutes at very low speed on the TM with O2. When he learned that I had the surgery and was doing well, he had many questions. I told him when I started the testing I wasn’t able to any more than he could but that rehab should get him on his way. I could sympathize with him and, on my last day in rehab, I gave him my phone number and told him to call me whenever he had any questions. We’ve now spoken a number of times and he is feeling good about his progress.

Wish I had more to say here for anyone in the LVRS program but you probably saw my posts on the forums letting everyone know that I’d be happy to answer any questions they have about LVRS.

UPDATE - AUGUST 2007

Sorry for not posting more. I've been at the Jersey shore for the summer and don't have a dedicated internet connection.

I couldn't be better. My doc prescribed Spiriva and Foradil but I can't say I really need them. Tried going without and had no problems.
Still exercising as much as possible. Bought a bicycle for the summer which I prefer to staring at a wall on my stationary bike. Usually ride for at least an hour depending on weather. Still use the treadmill. I don’t need O2; I keep a rescue Combivent inhaler just in case, saturation is in the mid to high nineties and I really have to work at getting any degree of SOB. Considering my 23% pre-surgery FEV1, life is pretty good again.

I should mention that before surgery I used a concentrator when exercising. Really don't need it now but my doc recommended using it when I'm on the treadmill because he feels it can only help me to get the most out of the exercise and, judging from the results, I must agree.

The post-surgery recovery period seemed to drag on but, looking back, I'd go through it again in a heartbeat. For those who are LVRS candidates, I can only say "go for it". I'll never be 100% but whatever I am now, is better than what I was.

No comments: