Pages

About Me

Welcome and thank you for joining me on my trip along the road to LVRS (Lung Volume Reduction Surgery). My name is Penny; I am from the beautiful Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania ... and I have emphysema. Walk along with me from first diagnosis to Lung Volume Reduction Surgery.
Jon's LVRS

Surgery Day (Tuesday, March 21, 2006)

I reported to UWMC at 8:45 AM to be prepped for surgery. Spinal epidural and IV's placed in pre-op. Later told that surgery started at 11:30 AM and concluded at 1:10 PM (1 hr 40 mins). I came to in a private room in ICU about 3:30 PM. The epidural would run continuously as long as the suction drain tubes were still in my chest. The drain tubes were sutured in place utilizing the lower two of the three ~1.5" incisions on each side of my chest. The tubes were similar to a "Y" with the common tube continuing to a reservoir where the chest fluids collected. The fluids in the reservoirs were measured frequently.

I also had a self administered pain relief IV that stayed with me for the three days of my stay. I stopped using it after the first 36 or so hours as I really was experiencing little pain and the medication made my mouth extremely dry. I was appreciative of the Foley catheter as I drank what seemed like gallons of water during the first couple of days.

Dinner that night was a delicious spaghetti dinner with green salad. Having not eaten since dinner 24 hours earlier, I devoured it. Turned out to be one the best meals I had while at UWMC.

Day 2 (Wednesday, March 22)

I stayed in ICU until nearly 5 PM as they had no beds to move me into in the telemetry unit. Still hadn't been out of bed for any reason which was good considering all of my "attachments." I was on oxygen 24/7. I also had an IV drip of different concoctions including antibiotics I was told. I received daily shots (3) of blood thinner to prevent clots from forming.

Day 3 (Thursday, March 23)

Got out of bed to eat my meals today and made two separate laps (without O2) around the telemetry floor. I was feeling good with no pain, but had anxiety over how shallow my breathing was. Also, my O2 levels were in the low 80's after exertion while on O2. I coughed up a lot of phlegm (not pretty) which gradually helped the lung capacity. They stopped the vacuum suction on the chest drains today along with the leg squeezers that I wore at night. The Foley catheter was also removed to my dismay as I was growing fond of it. (Too bad I didn't have one in my younger beer drinking days!!) Docs said I was doing great and may be discharged on Friday.

Day 4 (Friday, March 24)

Chest tube discharge measured only a teaspoon or so this morning according to RN. The tubes were removed mid-morning after earlier being told that I would be discharged today. What a relief to have them out along with the epidural and all of the IV's. My daughter arrived from Coeur d'Alene about 12:30 PM and we were on the road home by 1 PM.

Conclusion

The care I received from everyone while at UWMC was phenomenal. I was especially impressed with the technology level which included a data entry station in each patient room as well as a few in the hallways. Each morning between 4 and 5 AM, a portable x-ray machine and technician arrived to take a chest x-ray which was transmitted wirelessly into my data file. There, it and my vitals could be reviewed by the Doctors prior to their 6 AM rounds. In addition, I was transported each afternoon via wheelchair (along with all my tubes and containers) to the x-ray department to have more chest x-rays taken. These also were stored in my data files and could be viewed immediately by anyone with access to the system. Of course, what impressed me the most was the fact that my VATS surgery was done with such minimal trauma to my body. I feel the pulmonary rehab at St. Luke's in Spokane contributed greatly towards my overall conditioning, which otherwise would have been seasonably lower due to the winter months.

After the first week at home, I began daily walks around my neighborhood doing the ~one mile loop now in 20 minutes. I played golf three weeks after surgery.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm honored to now be a published author! ;) Thank you! Jon