Pages

About Me

Welcome and thank you for joining me on my trip along the road to LVRS (Lung Volume Reduction Surgery). My name is Penny; I am from the beautiful Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania ... and I have emphysema. Walk along with me from first diagnosis to Lung Volume Reduction Surgery.

Ken Kime's story

Four years ago I would wake in the middle of the night from being short of breath. I would sit on the edge of the bed and grab for my albuterol rescue inhaler, take a couple of deep puffs and hope I be able to breath in one more time. Sure enough, the albuterol would kick in and I would settle down to normal breathing. I would lay back and think this is going to be one hell of a way to die. I was only a mere 65 yrs old and in good shape except for the COPD. Now, without my albuterol rescue inhaler I couldn't go duck or deer hunting with my son and could barely keep up with him fishing. He would always do my share in hunting camp...loading our boat, and anything that would require me to do anything physical. I was so short of breath it was difficult to take a shower, walk to my car, (50 feet).

Damn the smoking that led to the emphysema and asthma that led to COPD.

My life was slowly grinding to a halt. I had be hospitalized about four times with pneumonia, one of those time barely making it out. The doctor told my son he should tell my brothers, sister and close friends to be prepared that I might not be getting out.

I am a commercial real estate broker, that couldn't climb any stairs and was so claustrophobic I would break out in a sweat any time I had to use a elevator. Life was miserable... no more pigging out at Thanksgiving & Christmas, going to movies where I had to battle crowds walking without my oxygen, traveling to Alaska to see my brother and sister, all my outdoor activities that makes my life worth living. How about not being able to change a flat tire on my car, taking a shower without my inhaler, making the bed, standing doing dishes, every little activity that requires you to take a breath.

I would come out of my doctors office after a visit just shaking my head. My life expanse was no longer then 75. How was I going to give it hell for the next ten years if I can't breath ?? I could exercise only so much to prolong my life.

My family doctor, Dr. Jeff Simmons, and Lung doctor , Dr Rughani, both here in Eugene, OR told me of a procedure that a doctor in the state of Washington was doing called "Lung Volume Reduction Surgery ." If a person is lucky enough to qualify for the surgery, he would remove the emphysema giving the lungs room to expand, making it easer to breath and live.

I contacted Dr Wood's office at the University of Washington hospital in Seattle. Right away, Diane, his assistant, gave me hope that some thing could be done if I completed and passed all their tests. There were many tests... blood, heart, lung, you name it, I had it tested. Dr Wood also wanted me to loose 16 pounds before the surgery which was to be in 6 mths. Guess what , I passed all the tests, made the weight requirement, and mentally prepared myself for the surgery. Dr. Wood knew that I was a Oregon Duck Fan and I knew he was a Washington Husky fan. He said he couldn't promise me he wouldn't pull any dirty tricks like planting a barking sound in my lungs.

In June of 2008, I reported for the surgery about 5:00 a.m. in the morning, @ the University of Washing Medical Center and was greeted by the most reassuring people. Everyone was wonderful . The surgery lasted a couple three hours. I woke up in intensive care with tubs hanging from my chest but free of pain and breathing with very little oxygen. I was very uncomfortable and glad it was over. I looked up at my son and two daughters and my two brothers. They told me that they talked to Dr. Wood and everything went well. I was home, working, in two and a half weeks.
.
Last June was my two year anniversary since my surgery. Before surgery I was walking about 1.5 miles per hr and would have to stop and rest every two min. Today I walked non stop for 35 min at 2.5 miles per hr. It is like the difference between night and day. I am now preparing to go on a week hunting trip and I will do my share around camp. I walked one and a half miles pheasant hunting last week end; I can walk to my car without even thinking of stopping; no longer need my albuterol for showering; I don't wake in the middle of the night gasping for air; and my handicap sticker for my car -- I don't even know where it is. I no longer carry and sleep with my albuterol; I went to a movie and didn't even think twice about the crowd. And yes, now I do stairs any time I can. My whole live is back on track. I still exercise at re-hab at least three time a week, walking over a mile on the treadmill, do arm and leg exercises, plus my working activity which I am sure amounts to walking a couple of miles a day. I still can run short of breath if I exercise or walk too fast, but it is no where near like it was before.

I have sent two people that contacted Dr Wood's office for the surgery. Unfortunately only one got to be a candidate and after surgery she has done just as well as I have. Anyone who wants to fine tune all the details of the surgery and recovery, feel free to call or write me any time. Believe me, I know what your going through and will help in any way I can. Ken Kime, 541 344 7178. Thank you Dr. Wood, Dr. Rughani and Dr. Simmons for all you have done for me.

PS. I make no barking sounds.

4 comments:

Duffer said...

Congratulations Ken! Your success at the UWMC nearly mirrors mine. I wish you well in the future.

Go Ducks!

Jon-ID

Lynn Prime said...

Hi Ken, My Name Is Lynn Prime. I am in the process of waiting to hear from University of Washington about LVRS. My wife and I live here in Eugene too and are Avid Duck fans. I hope your testimonial will make her feel better about our Journey as it has for me. Thank you for the Boost. Lynn. Grampsrocks57@live.com

Anonymous said...

Hi ken,

My husband had lvrs last September, his name is ken also. �� I would love to know how you are doing today?

Anonymous said...

I have COPD at 56 having quit smoking when diagnosed. My mom has COPD having quit smoking 25 yrs ago. Im going to see about her candidicy for the operation. She is 75. Thanks for sharing i hope your still on course and active