Pages

About Me

Welcome and thank you for joining me on my trip along the road to LVRS (Lung Volume Reduction Surgery). My name is Penny; I am from the beautiful Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania ... and I have emphysema. Walk along with me from first diagnosis to Lung Volume Reduction Surgery.

THE DATE IS SET!

3/20/08
Went, as scheduled, to Clinic this a.m. to see the surgeon, Dr. Thomas D'Amico. I thought it was just an "update appointment"...seeing how I was doing in rehab, how I felt, etc. Well, guess what? WRONG!!

First off, I had a pft. The numbers weren't changed too much but the DLCO is dropping....and it was a little harder to keep up the blow, blow, blow part for the FEV1. But I was able to keep it up to .61 liters which is where it's been since 1999. Then sit and wait...and wait....and wait...to see the surgeon. First, his very nice PA, Scott Balderson, came in and asked some questions, did some checking and then disappeared. After a bit, Scott came back with Dr. D'Amico. We talked and he said I was a very good candidate and I asked my questions...and then he asked, "Well, when would you like it done?" WOW! I wasn't really expecting that. So I said "I'd like it done on a day when your hands are at their steadiest and your eyes are at their sharpest." He actually broke into a smile!! So he and his assistant went out of the room to check the schedule, came back and said, "How about March 31st?" That's only a little over a week from now! What the heck, there's no sense delaying it, right? So I agreed. Whew. All of a sudden the wheels are turning pretty fast.

After Dr. D'Amico left the room, Scott asked if I had any more questions. I asked him if I had forgotten any important questions and he said that it sounded like I had asked all the important questions and that I was quite aware of the procedure and such. I told him I belong to several COPD forums plus I had the reports of several others who have already had the LVRS in my blog. He said he only wished a lot of the other patients were as well informed. Nah, my head didn't get too big hearing that, LOL!

After he left, I had to go for blood work (my veins were very stingy today...didn't want to part with any blood!), some pre-admitting paperwork, and an ekg. I asked someone along the line why I had never been tested for pulmonary hypertension and she said there was nothing in my record that might indicate I had it. I hope they're right.

It was a long day...7:30 to 5:30. I'm tired. Back to rehab tomorrow. I don't know if I'll be able to update this story while I'm in the hospital but I will keep a daily journal...if even a short one...and enter it when I get home.

Oh, I forgot to mention...right before I left the surgeon's appointment, he stuck his head back into the rooom and asked if I would be interested in talking with someone who has recently had the surgery. I said "For sure" and he introduced me to a gentleman who had it 3 weeks ago. He was back for his 3 week checkup and graciously agreed to answer any questions. I didn't have many questions...mainly how he felt about his operation and he said it was a lifesaver. He wasn't on O2 prior to the operation (but from what he described, he probably should have been!) but he got sob so very easily. He said he can walk miles now and not even have to think about breathing. That's what I'd like...really, just to be able to walk without (1) lugging the O2 along and (2) without getting particularily sob. He told me I would be happy I had it. I hope he's right.

3/28/08
The time is set also. So folks, please be thinking of me between 9:30 a.m. and 2:30 on Monday afternoon. The actual procedure is set for 11:00 a.m.

I don't want to take my laptop to the hospital so will go looking to buy an inexpensive tape recorder tomorrow so I can tape my feelings and thoughts while I'm at the hospital and then put them into this blog when I get home.

I said a temporary Goodbye to the folks at rehab today; told them I'd see them in 2 weeks (just guessing on that time frame). I got each of them a gift card for Red Lobster...just a token to show how appreciative I am for all their patience, prodding, compassion, etc. Somehow I miscounted and got 2 extra cards...so guess who gets to use them!! You got it! ME!!

I don't want to disappoint anyone but there is no guarantee that my breathing will be very improved and there's no guarantee that I'll be off O2, so please, if I post on my blog that I'm still on O2, please don't take that as a signal that the surgery was not successful. No O2 and less SOB are MY goals and my doc says they're realistic goals but they are not met in all LVRS cases. It'll be a case of wait and see.

There really isn't much else to add at this time. The one RT at rehab said Dr. D'Amico was quite pleased that I stayed with my 5-days a week exercise schedule even after I had 'graduated' from the regular class. It was only 2 weeks but still......So gang, see you in a week or two...Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise. Of course, with the drought they're having down here, chances of the creek rising are pretty slim so it's all up to the Good Lord.

5 comments:

Luna said...

Very, very best of success, Penny. You will be in my prayers, dear one. I am so excited for you and thank you for sharing yourself here. I will be checking back, too.
Keep the faith!
Sweetest blessings,
Kasey (Luna)

Duffer said...

This is so great as you've walked a very long road to get to this point. Sounds like your Doc is a pretty cool guy too!

Wishing you the best!
Jon

Anonymous said...

This is such good news, Penny!
I know it won't be easy, but I also am certain that you are going to come out on the other side of this experience very glad you made the decision you did and feeling so much better than you do now.
You are in my thoughts so often -
I will surely keep you in my thoughts and my prayers now.

Duffer said...

Since I'm on PDT, I'll be sending good thoughts from the time I get up on Monday.

We got 9 inches of snow here last night so I guess we're getting the precip that you're not as winter goes right to summer maybe.

Good luck,
Jon

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to touch base one more time before tomorrow -
you're in my prayers, Penny, I'll be watching this space for your return.
God bless you-
we'll be hearing from you soon, I'm sure
Karen