Pages

About Me

Welcome and thank you for joining me on my trip along the road to LVRS (Lung Volume Reduction Surgery). My name is Penny; I am from the beautiful Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania ... and I have emphysema. Walk along with me from first diagnosis to Lung Volume Reduction Surgery.
I've been asked to report my status now that I'm nearly two years post-op.

I'm now 64 years old and had a pre-op FEV1 of 23%. Six months post-op (9/06), it was 39% post-med and probably is still about there. I use O2 nocturnally only at 1.5 LPM and find its use more precautionary than necessary since the surgery. My O2 saturation during the day ranges from 90 to 96% depending on the level of exertion. I use Flovent, Serevent, Spiriva, Nasonex, and when rarely needed, Combivent.

I feel that I'm still very much the beneficiary of the procedure as I remember the pre-op days struggling to walk to the mailbox and back without stopping to rest. The first few months, I was in the recovery mode attempting to get full strength back. I found that the rehab exercise sessions very beneficial to achieving this goal.

On my trips to the stores, I no longer look for a "handicapped" parking spot as I tell myself the longer hike is part of my PT. I can't remember the last time I used my blue placard. Pre-op, I hired help to come in every other week and do the housework like vacuuming and dusting. Although it's still not my favorite thing to do, I now do it myself.

I enjoy playing golf (but not necessarily well) and was pleased that I was able to resume this activity three weeks post-op in 2006 although other parts of the old body started showing signs of fatigue! This past 2007 season, I played 50 rounds of golf without having to use the "handicapped flag" on my cart and being able to climb up out of the sand traps without stopping to get my breath back. Towards the end of the rounds, I do find my game weakens but I'm not sure that the decrease in stamina is due to the COPD or age!

I have a large yard that I maintain throughout the growing season including trimming back the trees and shrubbery as needed. The days I don't play golf or do yard work, I do my laps in the neighborhood. This current winter, we've had record snowfalls and I'm ashamed to say the treadmill hasn't seen the workout that it should have seen. I have a garden tractor mounted with a rotary snowblower that I use to clear the driveways and mailboxes for myself and four of my neighbors. Wearing my old Air Force hooded parka and a facemask, I've logged many hours this season clearing over 130" of snowfall. For the past two weeks, I've suffered from a head cold and
bronchitis, the first in over two years. But, now feeling better and the fact that we again have some asphalt showing, I'm back to doing the walks.

There are times and conditions which very much impact my health and are pretty much those which bother all of us with COPD. Here in North Idaho, we get about two weeks of pine pollen which blows in the air and coats everything until a big rain washes it into the ground. I pretty much stay inside while that is happening. Also, we often have summer forest fires in the Northwest with the smoke migrating into our area meaning more days of inside activities. During the winter, I can step outside and know immediately if someone in the neighborhood is burning their fireplace
or woodstove. We don't have any humidity problems here, but temperatures above
~90*F in the summer and below ~40*F in the winter really seem to impact me as they did pre-op. I still have to pace myself in most anything I do but nowhere near as much as earlier.

As always, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.


7/24/10

And here's Jon's 4-year note re: his post-LVRS status:

"Seven months post-surgery a PFT showed my FEV1 had increased to 36% (PRE) and 39% (Post-Rx) from readings near 20%.
Last week, I had a new PFT and am pleased to report the FEV1 has only decreased slightly to 33% (PRE-Rx) and 37% (Post-Rx) after nearly four years. My Pulmo did put me back on Combivent however and I'm continuing with Advair and Spiriva.
Anyway, I thought some members might be curious as to how the surgery help me over the longer term."

3 comments:

Rodney said...

Hello,
My name is Rod,and I live in Edgewood Wa. right outside of Tacoma. I am on oxygen 24/7 and my FEV1 is right around 15% (?) give or take 5%. I am really interested in that LVRS surgery. How do I go about getting one done? Do you have to have a Doctors referal?Or can you just contact U of W medical Center to have one done?I have not been able to see my pulmonary doctor for the past 3 years because I only had medicare A&B.And the fact that he is so darn expensive we could not afford to see him because his fee is right around 200.00 and being on Social Security Disability,there just isn't anyway to work it into our budget.What can I do?
Rod

Duffer said...

Rod, I'm sorry this reply is coming so late as I've not check back to look for any comments. Anyway, I would suggest you contact the LVRS Coordinator at the UWMC. Her name is Diane Lockhart, RN at (206) 598-3725. Don't know if you have a Medicare Supplement Policy, but if not, maybe you can work something out with them. Good luck!

Anyone else asking questions, please email me at: mallard43@yahoo.com and I will respond more quickly. Jon

Anonymous said...

hi, I have questions regarding lung volume reduction
surgery you went thru. i'm about 52yrs old with a fev1 of 19% and
upper lobe predominate emphysema damage. and looking to go to University of Washington Seattle Washington. What can you tell me
about the procedure and how long ago you had it done and if you've declined back to where you were or are still better etc etc....